Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

German Chocolate Cake... with a Southern twist!

In this world, I have a few things that make me smile, whether I'm sad, angry,  having a night with my family, or out with my girlfriends. One of those never fail things, like most women I know, is chocolate. So, it seemed fitting that my first recipe post, was about chocolate!

My husband's favorite cake is German Chocolate Cake, complete with the gooey pecan and coconut frosting. I try to make it for him for his birthday every year, and just to be nice through out the year. 

A couple of years ago, we were visiting his family in super south Arkansas. A family friend brought over a cake that he instantly fell in love with. It was a large thin chocolate sheet cake that this sweet woman had poked holes in with a fork, then poured Sweetened Condensed Milk over. It was incredibly rich,... and oh so yummy! 

Last week, just to let him know how much I appreciate his hard work, I decided to make a combination of these two cakes. With my 2u2 (2 babies under the age of 2) girls, making things from scratch just doesn't happen much, so I used cake from a box and frosting from a can (don't tell Martha Stewart!). I baked the cake, then used chopsticks to poke holes in the cake, then poured Sweetened Condensed Milk over it, spread out with a spatula. I microwaved the frosting for 30 seconds so that it would be easier to spread because the SC Milk had made the top of the cake super moist and sticky.

My husband loved it, so did my 18 month old daughter! 


The SC Milk kept the cake super moist and gooey till we finished it (which wasn't long)!

0 comments:

Post a Comment